There could be several reasons why there is an increase in catalytic converter thefts in Richmond, Virginia. One possible explanation is that the price of certain metals, such as platinum, palladium, and rhodium, which are used in catalytic converters, has been on the rise in recent years. This makes catalytic converters more valuable and attractive to thieves who can sell them for scrap metal.
Additionally, Richmond is a densely populated urban area, and many cars are parked on the streets, making them easy targets for thieves. Thieves can remove the catalytic converters quickly and quietly with the right tools, and then sell them to scrap metal dealers for cash.
Another possible reason is that newer cars are equipped with more efficient catalytic converters, which have a higher concentration of precious metals, making them even more valuable to thieves.
To combat this problem, law enforcement agencies in Richmond and across the country have been working to educate car owners about ways to prevent catalytic converter thefts, such as parking in well-lit areas or installing a protective shield over the converter. They are also cracking down on scrap metal dealers who purchase stolen converters.
In our area the most commonly affected vehicle are: Toyota Prius', Honda Element, Trucks and Vans that are raised higher off the ground.
We paint all installed converters orange whenever we install a new one to deter theft. No charge. Small charge if you'd like yours painted for you.
Overall, regular maintenance of the car air filter is an important part of keeping your vehicle running smoothly and efficiently, as well as maintaining good air quality inside the car.
Why should I rotate my tires?
Rotating your tires is important for several reasons:
I NEED TIRES
If you need tires or a tire repair we can help. Here are the deets:
1. Yes we repair tires if they can be repaired. No major holes and no sidewall damage.
2. Or we can install new tires.
3. Drop off your car any day Monday thru Friday by 9am and we can have your tires same day.
4. Saturday tire service? Yes, but tires have to be ordered ahead of time. Call us. 804 355 6666
5. Want a quote? You will need to have the tire size (numbers on the sidewall.) Just email us a request. Or schedule an appointment below.
6. We DO NOT SELL USED TIRES.
7. Tire brands: we can get most any. With that said we are not a specialty tire shop so if you need something super high end or unusual or very specific we can recommend other shops.
How do you know it has been stolen? Suddenly your car sounds like a tank. One day you drive it and the car is normal, the next it's very, very loud. Typically the thieves will crawl under your vehicle at night and saw off the part so you get a nasty surprise the next morning. Toyotas (Prius), Honda Element and any vehicle that sits high off the ground (work vans) are the primary targets as their converters are most accessible. Here in the Museum District, Fan and Scotts Addition we are experiencing these thefts often.
So, what do you do if this happens to you? Call us at Cutshaw. We are experienced at replacing this part and working with your insurance company to make the process as painless as possible for you. We are also the only garage in the city experienced at installing "Cat Security" a shield (picture above) that is rivetted onto your vehicle to cover the converter and make it MUCH HARDER to steal.
Whether your converter has been stolen, or you want to make sure it does not get stolen, we can help by installing a shield. Pricing varies, approx $300 parts and labor.
When your check engine light comes on you:
2. Ignore it
3. Hope it will go away.
So first, hope is not a strategy:) Instead drop by Cutshaw Automotive and we'll connect our very expensive computers to your car and decipher the code crazy for you. Most of the time, it's just something simple....you'll be glad you took care of it and can go safely on your drives. If it's more complicated that's ok too because we are the Check Engine light experts. There is a big difference between reading codes and googling the results and actually knowing what the codes mean and what to do about it. Almost like reading another language. Check engine diagnostic from $60.00
Daylight Savings - Fall BACK?
October State Inspection Due
Time for your October Virginia State inspection - what do we check? We have an entire checklist that we have to go through, but here is the short list:
1. Check the tread depth (check for tire wear on the outside and inside of the tire for alignment issues).
2. Check your lights (headlights, backlights, reverse lights, marker lights, brake lights, turn signals and an often overlooked area: your tag light).
3. Check your mirrors (checking for cracked, chipped or missing mirrors).
4. Check your horn (no muffled sound).
5. Check your windshield for cracks or improperly placed stickers.
6. Check that your wipers are properly working.
7. Check that your defroster is operating.
8. Check dashboard for any warning lights.
9. Check the brakes and parking brakes.
10. Check the steering & suspension.
11. Check the exhaust system and air pollution control system.
12. Check the airbag readiness light.
If all items are approved, an inspection sticker will be given. If any issues are observed, they must be corrected and reinspected within 15 days. Don't wait until the end of the month. You cannot make an appointment for an inspection so you really need to pre-plan to bring it to Cutshaw Automotive
Oil Change 101
You know your car like the back of your hand: its noises, how it handles, and where the seat needs to be adjusted to, to feel perfect! But we can all probably learn just a little bit more about our vehicle's finer details—like the kind of oil it needs for complete protection and top engine performance.
Follow our blog for specials, car hacks and safety tips.