When your check engine light comes on you:
2. Ignore it
3. Hope it will go away.
So first, hope is not a strategy:) Instead drop by Cutshaw Automotive and we'll connect our very expensive computers to your car and decipher the code crazy for you. Most of the time, it's just something simple....you'll be glad you took care of it and can go safely on your drives. If it's more complicated that's ok too because we are the Check Engine light experts. There is a big difference between reading codes and googling the results and actually knowing what the codes mean and what to do about it. Almost like reading another language. Check engine diagnostic from $60.00
Time for your October Virginia State inspection - what do we check? We have an entire checklist that we have to go through, but here is the short list:
1. Check the tread depth (check for tire wear on the outside and inside of the tire for alignment issues).
2. Check your lights (headlights, backlights, reverse lights, marker lights, brake lights, turn signals and an often overlooked area: your tag light).
3. Check your mirrors (checking for cracked, chipped or missing mirrors).
4. Check your horn (no muffled sound).
5. Check your windshield for cracks or improperly placed stickers.
6. Check that your wipers are properly working.
7. Check that your defroster is operating.
8. Check dashboard for any warning lights.
9. Check the brakes and parking brakes.
10. Check the steering & suspension.
11. Check the exhaust system and air pollution control system.
12. Check the airbag readiness light.
If all items are approved, an inspection sticker will be given. If any issues are observed, they must be corrected and reinspected within 15 days. Don't wait until the end of the month. You cannot make an appointment for an inspection so you really need to pre-plan to bring it to Cutshaw Automotive
You know your car like the back of your hand: its noises, how it handles, and where the seat needs to be adjusted to, to feel perfect! But we can all probably learn just a little bit more about our vehicle's finer details—like the kind of oil it needs for complete protection and top engine performance.
Follow our blog for specials, car hacks and safety tips.